How To Set String Height & MIDI Pickup For Best Performance With The Jamstik Studio
The ideal Jamstik Studio string height is approximately 1-2mm from the MIDI pickup to the string.
That being said, If you notice that a majority of the strings appear to be higher than 3mm you may want to try raising the MIDI pickup using a small flat head screwdriver (tighten to lower, loosen to raise) as that is a simplest solution in that case.
Alternatively, you can use the string sensitivity sliders in the Jamstik Creator plug-in to increase string sensitivity to accommodate for the additional string height as needed.
Note: If you are experiencing missed open notes and fretted notes are being detected, make sure to tune your guitar to E standard before making any adjustments to the string height or the MIDI pickup.
A few example signs of when it's warranted to make an adjustment:
- Missed notes and or low velocities = String is too far away from the MIDI pickup; string needs to be lowered or MIDI pickup raised (note: missed notes could be caused by the guitar being out of tune so make sure to tune it up to E standard)
- High velocities and increased artifacts = String is too close to the MIDI pickup, string needs to be raised or MIDI pickup needs to be lowered
-Allen Key (Provided in Gig Bag)
-1mm Guitar Pick (Provided in Gig Bag)
Calibrating The MIDI Pickup
- Measure the distance between the string and pickup with the included 1mm pick laid flat as shown below
- Adjust each string as needed using the provided Allen key to set the string saddle height to approximately a 1-2mm gap between the string and pickup. Or alternatively if all strings need an adjustment you can adjust the MIDI pickup height by using a small flat head screw driver (tighten to lower, loosen to raise)
1. Loosen String Tension (using the tuning key)
2. Loosen the screw on the left as needed
3. Adjust the screw on the right until the string is at the desired height
4. Tighten the string and check the string to pickup height using the 1mm guitar pick, the string should be approx 1-2mm from the MIDI pickup.