Getting Started with the Studio MIDI Guitar
The Creator Plugin is available as a complimentary download for all Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar customers. If you haven't already downloaded it, you can find the free beta version available for Mac and Windows here. We recommend following along with the Jamstik Creator Quick Start Guide during the download and installation process. It is also the best place to change your device settings (currently USB Connection only).
Jamstik Portal iOS
Also check out our Portal app for iOS that lets you play, learn, connect, and create on the go! Click the icon above or click here to go to the app store.
- You can also make an account, register, update firmware, and change settings at play.jamstik.com. If you have previously made an account on play.jamstik.com, go into Profile and edit your profile to add your Studio MIDI Guitar.
- Your Studio MIDI Guitar should arrive lower than standard tuning. Your guitar must be tuned to standard (EADGBe) for proper MIDI pickup usage. Read our article on Tuning: How to Tune the Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar for detailed tuning instructions. (Alternate tuning support will be available in the Jamstik Creator when it launches)
The connection process differs between devices. For detailed information, visit one of our device-specific support articles below.
Compatible Software & DAW Setup
The Jamstik was built to be a plug-and-play, fully functional MPE MIDI controller, and it's compatible with most desktop DAWs (Digital Audio Workstation) as a MIDI instrument. Below you will find guides for the best experience in your DAW.
Your guitar may need to be tuned upon shipment, and subsequently over time. Tuning is critical for optimal MIDI performance, and we recommend checking your guitar before each use for best results.
To tune the Jamstik, use the attached tuning handle—it's located next to the tuners at the bridge of the guitar, instead of the headstock where you might tune other guitars. For more information, visit our full article on tuning.
Individual String Height Adjustment
If you are experiencing missed notes or a large number of artifacts or limited velocities over MIDI that isn't solved with sensitivity adjustments in Jamstik Creator, you may need to adjust your guitar's string heights so that they are approx 1-2mm away from the MIDI pickup. The tools are provided for you in the box, and full guides are found in our article for Adjusting String Height for Optimal Performance on the Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar.
Truss Rod and Nut Adjustment
If strings buzz or are too high off of the fretboard, your guitar's action may be too high or too low and can be adjusted through the truss rod or nut. This should not be a required adjustment out of the box, but can be helpful after changes in season/climate and temperature. For more information and instructions visit our full article on Adjusting the Truss Rod on the Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar and our article on How to Set String Action using the Adjustable Nut on the Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar.
Restringing The Guitar
Because of the guitar's headless design, the process for restringing might be slightly different than what you're used to; but don't worry, it's quite simple! The MIDI pickup is magnetic, so the guitar requires you to use metal strings rather than nylon. We'd recommend following standard .010–.046 gauges. Your Jamstik will come with fresh strings right out of the factory, but when it comes time to change them, check out the instructions on restringing your guitar here.
Important Quick Tips
- If using a third-party USB cable for connection, please ensure the USB cable is data-enabled. For example, a Mac USB-C charging cable will not transfer MIDI data.
- Wireless headphones & speakers cause a delay. Always use wired audio output from your connected device for the best playing experience.
- Lower the Buffer Rate in your DAW - Latency is one of the biggest barriers in getting MIDI devices to perform the way you want them to. Make sure that your device and software are set to the most responsive settings. You should also close any other software programs on your device that may be running in the background.
- Explore the world of Compatible Apps and Software - There are so many great DAWs, Plugins, and Apps that have amazing synthesizers, drum samples, and other sounds that work fantastic with the Jamstik. We encourage you to explore some of our favorites featured on the blog.
- Pickup height and proper tuning are essential for optimal MIDI performance with the Jamstik.
- The Jamstik is able to accept alternate tunings as low as C Standard tuning (C-F-A#-D#-G-C). Tuning below C Standard may degrade MIDI performance.
- The 3.5mm jack on your guitar is for TRS-MIDI messages only and will not output audio into speakers or headphones.
Further Setup, Tutorials, & Troubleshooting
- What are the Default MIDI CC (Control Change) Messages?
- How to Set String Action using the Adjustable Nut on the Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar
- How to adjust intonation on the Jamstik Studio
- How to use the Coil Tap for Single-Coil Use on the Studio MIDI Guitar
- What do the Jamstik's Indicator Light's Mean?
View the Jamstik Studio MIDI Guitar Troubleshooting Index for more.
Have a support question right away? Check out the Jamstik Support page for other setup questions. There are many useful articles there, and our team members are on hand to discuss any questions via live chat, email, or over the phone.