Latency is the delay from input into a system to the desired outcome.
In this case, it can be represented as:
- Jamstik (Input)->Device (Processor)->Speakers (Output)
For the device to receive the messages sent from the Jamstik is about 10-11ms
- 30ms is generally where the human ear is able to recognize latency
From there your final latency will be determined by the processing speed of your device, here are a few precautions you can take to minimize the amount of time it takes for your device to process the MIDI information & in turn optimize your latency.
Tips for best performance:
MOBILE: (Js+ app, JamTutor, JamMix, etc..)
- Close any apps that are running in the background
- Download the latest version of the JS+ app
- DO NOT USE BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES OR SPEAKERS
- Some apps have a "Low Latency" feature that will help prioritize
- Some sounds may have different attack rates & may respond differently
DESKTOP / LAPTOP: (DAW: FL Studios, Ableton, Logic, etc..)
- Close unneeded applications, especially memory/processor intensive operations
- Go to your preferred software > Options (Or MIDI settings menu) Adjust your buffer & sample rate in your DAW to the optimal settings
**(optimal settings vary depending on the processor of your device)**
If you are still experiencing issues, check your environment for any devices that may be causing Bluetooth interference.